Yesterday, Wednesday 3rd April, President Muhammadu Buhari condemned the death of a football enthusiast, Kolade Johnson, following an encounter with the Special Anti-Cultism Squad (SACS) at Onipetesi near Ikeja, Lagos, on Sunday.
In a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, the President condoled with the family as he acknowledged the actions so far taken to bring the culprits to book.
“The suspects are in custody and an orderly room trial is set to begin immediately, after which indicted officers will be arraigned.
“The government will not tolerate brutalisation of Nigerians or violation of their rights. Any officer of the law enforcement agencies or any other government functionary caught in this act will be punished.”
The statement noted that following directives from the Presidency last year, the police moved to overhaul the management and activities of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
The President said a lot more remained to be done as “this effort must be sustained.”
“This administration will continue to ensure that officers in the police and other law enforcement agencies conduct their operations in adherence to the rule of law and with regard to international human rights and humanitarian law”, the President said.